I PETER 2:1-10 Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. 2 Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, 3 now that you have tasted that the Lord is good. 4 As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to him— 5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house[a] to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 For in Scripture it says:“See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in him
will never be put to shame.” 7 Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe, “The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,” 8 and,
“A stone that causes people to stumble and a rock that makes them fall.” They stumble because they disobey the message—which is also what they were destined for. 9 But you are a (peculiar) chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, (a peculiar people) God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.10 Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
• I was chosen to be different
Don’t waste time trying to find yourself in other people. BE YOU!!
A peculiar person can stand alone in their uniqueness.
We should commit to declaring the name of Jesus.
1. Unusual or eccentric; odd.
2. Distinct from all others. See Synonyms at strange.
3. Belonging distinctively or primarily to one person, group, or kind; special or unique: rights peculiar to the rich; a species peculiar to this area.1. A privilege or property that is exclusively one’s own.
1) God is interested in you!!! (He likes what He sees)
“For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto Himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.”
•All Heaven is interested in our salvation, and I wish that our minds were spiritual, that we might fully realize this great fact.
• We will experience trials and difficulties in life but we should be the happiest people on the earth!!! If we are obedient children we can address God as their Father and Friend.
• The reason he purified us in the first place was for himself. If He didn’t want us, He would not have redeemed us.
2) God sees a future in you… (He wants to holler, so you and He can be great)
–Psalms 135: 4. “For the Lord hath chosen Jacob unto himself and Israel for his peculiar treasure.
Are you glad to know that Christ has chosen you?
Just think, you were chosen before the foundation of the world. God says, “ I’ve got a plan for your life and not to do you harm but to do you good.”
-I stand on Romans 8:28, and we know, we are not guessing, we know, that all things will work together for good to those who love the Lord, and to those that are called according to his purpose or plan.
3) God wants you for Himself
Deuteronomy 14: 2. “For thou art an holy people unto the Lord thy God, and the Lord hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth.”
You know so many times we sit back and we’re going through troubles and trials. We wonder do you know what? (I have worked and labored and I have been faithful to the house of the Lord. I have done what God has told me to do.) We think we’re sitting here and what are we doing?
• I’m here to remind you what the Scripture has said. You are above all of the nations that are upon the earth. You have a high calling in your life.
I say it is higher than being the president of the United States. People look at the president and they respect him and honor him because of what he has been chosen to do, and rightly so.
People need to respect and honor us. We are the King’s kids. We are a peculiar people. Gods people
Samuel 12:22. “For the Lord will not forsake his people for his great name’s sake: because it hath pleased the Lord to make you his people.”
• Think about How God, one day, looked upon you, and maybe somebody witness to you, maybe you saw something different about somebody and you realized, I need more in my life. You need a better way than what you are doing. I need to shake off the shackles out of the bondage that was upon me, I need to be set free. Where could I go but to the Lord?
Only Jesus can set you free and if he set you free, you will be free indeed.
No more shackles, no more bondage, the prison doors are going to be opened in our lives and we could walk out and say that we are the King’ s kids.
I am not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ, it is life and it is abundant life..I praise God that He will give us an opportunity to have a one on one relationship with him.